Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Enter Our Parts Store | Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Repairing and Servicing Lennox Products
 Repairing / Servicing Lennox Gas Furnaces
 Convert: Gas 2 Propane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwp

3 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Was wondering what I need to convert my G20Q2e-50-2 from Natural gas to Propane? This is a unit I picked up for the garage and don't want to spend a lot of money?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
dwp

Cozy.Support

5740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't really convert it legally and the kit that Lennox made is no longer available from Lennox. The link below will provide more information. CozyParts.com, Inc. will not assist in converting a unit to propane unless the factory kit is still available.

http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-parts/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1514

CozyParts.com, Inc. is an Independent Lennox Dealer providing a national parts distribution resource for Lennox parts since 2002. The Cozy.Support team does not provide a diagnosis for users of this forum. We do, however, try to provide information that will help servicers arrive at their own diagnosis.

Once you know what part you need, you can contact the Cozy parts department by using the link below
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/locator_form.aspx
Go to Top of Page

dwp

3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will NEVER buy another Lennox product.
Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  4:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not just Lennox but all manufactures slowly make LP kits and sad to say other vital parts obsolete over time....welcome to our trade.
Give you an idea the LP kit for this unit requires replacing the orifice in the pilot assembly, removing and replacing the air adjustment shutters before each of the burners, gas valve component replacement, and proper labelling. It is just not cost efficient for any company to keep making shutters and parts for a furnace that is marked at twenty years of age.

I am not an employee of CozyParts, I generously donate my time. The services here are free, with honest intention to assist, however, this site is not free to maintain. Please make the effort if you need a part or tool to purchase from CozyParts.com. This will ensure this wonderful forum remains for years to come!! As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!

Edited by - slctech on 12/06/2010 4:57:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

dwp

3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  8:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I keep this unit and need basic parts, that may or may not be available, I will purchase from this site. I do APPRECIATE the generous help of the people replying to my post(s). I spent hours today trying to locate what I thought would be the best option in trying to keep my garage warm while working on my projects. I will hookup the unit to my natural gas connection, which is a lot more work, but maybe more economical.

I was hoping to keep the cost down, and I still may be able to by running a combination of black iron and TracPipe, which I believe I can be certified for.

I am a do-it-your selfer, and enjoy it, and I don't like being backed into a corner. I completely understand the need for a professional and do call upon them from time to time, when needed. It just seems I end up doing the job myself for whatever reason.

Please don't take offense to my post, I am frustrated with the turn of events in trying to keep this economical. In today's environment of American Greed, it can sometimes be difficult to appreciate those who are trying to help. THANK YOU.
Go to Top of Page

Cozy.Support

5740 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  9:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must understand that there is a lot of liability for the manufactures and that if anything goes wrong with a conversion they are on they are on the hook. So, if 10 years after the furnace was sold, someone wants to try and convert s furnace to propane, it just opens up a liability path for the manufacturer. Rarely are these kinds of conversions being done by a trained person with the correct tools. If you want to get technical about it, it is illegal to install furnace that does not have the proper labeling, therefore a factory kit is necessary. Further, a furnace that is being converted from natural to propane after it is 10 years or more out of production almost always means that a used furnace is being moved from one installed location to another. This is a scenario that manufacturers are not warm too... and you can't blame them.

Lennox stocks propane conversion kits for models they produce a few years past the last production of the product. After that, they assume that all of the products have been installed and there is no reason to keep on making the kits. Not sure this is that different across the industry.

In October of 2005 Lennox sent a guide to propane/natural gas conversions out to their dealers. The G20 that you have was specifically listed as "not permitted" to convert to propane.

CozyParts.com, Inc. is an Independent Lennox Dealer providing a national parts distribution resource for Lennox parts since 2002. The Cozy.Support team does not provide a diagnosis for users of this forum. We do, however, try to provide information that will help servicers arrive at their own diagnosis.

Once you know what part you need, you can contact the Cozy parts department by using the link below
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/locator_form.aspx
Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  9:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No offense was taken and I can easily understand your frustration. Just last week had to condemn a perfectly good rooftop unit due to a rusted out header box. Unit was only fifteen years old and part obsolete, really felt bad having to tell my customer that the unit was inoperable due to a $55.00 part that is no longer available. If it was my own system I would have rigged up a repair, but in our profession with liabilities around every corner, we are stuck with either OEM factory parts or UL listed approved after-market parts as long as they are available.

I am not an employee of CozyParts, I generously donate my time. The services here are free, with honest intention to assist, however, this site is not free to maintain. Please make the effort if you need a part or tool to purchase from CozyParts.com. This will ensure this wonderful forum remains for years to come!! As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. © 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000