Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Enter Our Parts Store | Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Repairing and Servicing Lennox Products
 Repairing / Servicing Lennox Gas Furnaces
 Pulse 21 Pressure Test?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailor9

30 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to pressure test a G21Q3-80-1 in the spring.

My question is in isolating the heat exchanger assy. It looks simple to plug off the air inlet and gas inlet using an assortment of pipe fittings including a schrader valve and pressure gauge. Suitable plumbers test plugs could also be used because we are only talking about 4 psi.

But...what about isolating the 2" PVC condensate outlet? There is a 2" PVC union nut close to the coil, but what is the procedure to block it off? Is it necessary to cut this line in order to remove a piece. I know that a test kit is availaable from Lennox.

The furnace runs great.
I have replaced the air flapper, cleaned the condensing coil fins, modified the conds trap, removed the elect air cleaner for a 5" pleated filter, modified the vent and inlet roof terminations. The roof vent froze over last winter at -40 as it was not insulated!!

Sorry to be so long-winded but thought others might benefit.
Regards from Canada.

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the actual Lennox Test kit, it comes with a multitude of different size sure-grip pipe testing plugs...here is the link to something similar:
http://www.cherneind.com/Mechanical_Plugs/Kwik_N_Sure/

As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!
Go to Top of Page

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  7:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the Lennox Pulse Pressure Test Kit 74K96. The plugs and pressure gage were installed in a Craftsman Box inlaid with foam then slots cut out for the kit parts. Really hate losing plugs and making this into a silhouetted kit that can be quickly inventoried after a pressure test has resulted in never misplacing a plug.

1 each 1/8" pipe plug, 2 each 1/2", 1 each 3/4", 1 each 7/8", 1 each 1", 1 each 1-1/4", 1 each 1-3/8", 1 each 1-1/2", 1 each 2" test plugs, 1 each patch plate, 1 each grommet, 1 each pressure gage and instructions.

The plugs come from two manufacturers. Cherne which SLC has referenced and Shaw http://www.shawplugs.com/turn-tite-expandable-rubber-plugs-c-249.html

Most leaks occur at the secondary heat but as the following photo shows leaks can happen anywhere.

I am not an employee of CozyParts. The opinions that I post are my own.

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have all of your fossil fuel appliances tested annually for carbon monoxide production by a professional.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts or NSI 3000 a low level CO monitor.

Edited by - MechAcc on 01/13/2010 8:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  8:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MechAcc

That is a great idea..mine is in a little red plastic tool box from Harbor Freight, has just enough room to store my little foot-pump. Lost my instructions years ago.

As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!
Go to Top of Page

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
email me at essex1.com. Have a pdf file of the instructions I can shoot to you.

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have all of your fossil fuel appliances tested annually for carbon monoxide production by a professional.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts or NSI 3000 a low level CO monitor.
Go to Top of Page

sailor9

30 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  11:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MechAcc & slctech for your prompt reply.
Could you email me the test procedure instructions pdf file.
bbunderscorebrownattelusdotnet

I have most of the required fittings on hand for a pressure test. Cozy does not ship to Canada. Lennox in Canada will not sell parts unless you are in the business.
Thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  06:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sailor9

Thanks MechAcc & slctech for your prompt reply.
Could you email me the test procedure instructions pdf file.
bbunderscorebrownattelusdotnet

I have most of the required fittings on hand for a pressure test. Cozy does not ship to Canada. Lennox in Canada will not sell parts unless you are in the business.
Thanks for any help.

Since you are not in the trade I will decline sending you a copy of the test instructions. Sorry but this test should really be performed by trained individuals. I know SLC unfortunately I do not know you or your capabilities.

Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  10:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the offer..MechAcc. I'm fine though...as you know after a few hundred you can just do them in your sleep. If I really need it someday, I check in with you.

Go to Top of Page

sailor9

30 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MechAcc & SLC for your photos and info. I understand your concern. I have 3 trades tickets but no HVAC.

This furnace is 300 miles from me, out in the Boonies so I can't study it right now. I don't think that I could entice anyone to go out there (for a pressure test) for love nor money, unless it was a hugh amount of either.

My only question was how to isolate the 2" PVC conds line. If I remember correctly, it will mean temporarily removing a piece of the line. I can unscrew the 2" PVC union nut at the furnace but the line exits the cabinet close to the union with a 90 and there is no room to spread the 2" line.
Regards.

Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We cut the cabinet and the pipe if required. I carry 2" PVC couplers to repair the pipe. And originally the kits came with a piece of sheet metal to repair the cutout in the furnace cabinet. I just make very clean cuts and replace my cutout with a piece of custom sheet metal I fold in the shop.

While I have the 2" PVC cut-out I clean out the drain or ball assembly.

Go to Top of Page

sailor9

30 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  4:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slctech,
To repair the 2" PVC Conds pipe when it is cut out, do you use a solvent-weld coupling or is there a suitable mechanical joint available?
Thanks again to all.
Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  11:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I cut the PVC pipe, I try to do it in an area that is easily coupled. I use a Fernco rubber coupler to mate the two ends back together when i am finished, also allows me to take them apart again in the future when it is time for another pressure test or for cleaning the drain.
I really can not remember the last time that I ever cut an ABS or PVC pipe for maintenance or troubleshooting purposes that I have not utilize a Fernco coupler to attach them back together when I was finished.
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings

Go to Top of Page

sailor9

30 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  11:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slctech, many thanks!
Perfect information. I was hoping that a mechanical joint would be suitable for the reasons that you mentioned. This thread has been put to bed.
Best regards from the sailor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. © 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000