Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Enter Our Parts Store | Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Repairing and Servicing Lennox Products
 Repairing / Servicing Lennox Air Conditioning
 Can you use Stay brite 8 on 410A systems?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acefurnacefixer

4 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  06:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see on the Brigit web site that stay brite 8 has "Joint Strength Copper sleeve joint (in tension)of 15,000 PSI, seems to me that should be more then ample strength to work?

YES! I CAN fix that!

Edited by - acefurnacefixer on 03/10/2006 06:03:04 AM

Cozy.Support

5739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would only braze the lines myself. While you might get away with using stay brite, I think your odds of running into problems would be much greater. Personally, I would not use stay bite on an R22 system, much less a R410A system.
Go to Top of Page

acefurnacefixer

4 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cozy.Support

I would only braze the lines myself. While you might get away with using stay brite, I think your odds of running into problems would be much greater. Personally, I would not use stay bite on an R22 system, much less a R410A system.

With the high tempatures that are associated with brazing, and the subsequent damage that can ocure from that, as well as the added saftey risk, given that a joint strength of 15,000 psi appears to be adaquite (working pressure are 50 to 75 higher then R-22) why do you come to that conclusion? Let me add the obvious, that the hoses used on 410-A have a burst pressure of 3000 psi, and that is 12,000 psi lower then the joint strength of a stay brite joint.

What problems are you refeering to when you say " think your odds of running into problems would be much greater". Brazing leaves black flake in the lines and stay brite is a clean joint. It is said that purging lines with nitrogen will prevent the black flake, but to be honest I see very few companys using it, due to cost.

I am not trying to discredit your statement but the facts I have found in researching this matter all seem to point to stay brite being the most economical choise, its faster, cleaner and certianly strong enough.

YES! I CAN fix that!
Go to Top of Page

Cozy.Support

5739 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is certainly room for both thoughts, but with my years of experience, I have found that soldered joints, high pressure, and vibrations just do not go together.

Brazing offers many advantages that make it an attractive joining process. For instance, a brazed joint can offer strength equal to or greater than that of the base metals themselves. Brazed joints can withstand considerable shock and vibration.

Myself, I have never had a problem burning things up with brazing. While it is true that oxidation does take place at brazing temperatures, there is ways of minimizing the amount of oxidation that takes place, even if you are not brazing in a nitrogen environment.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. © 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000