Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Enter Our Parts Store | Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Repairing and Servicing Lennox Products
 Repairing / Servicing Lennox Gas Furnaces
 G26 Combustion Blower Whine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyce007

1 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Lennox G26Q3-75-1, S/N 5895A 00447 and live in Minnesota. Last service/maintenance 2+ yrs ago when igniter replaced.

The combustion air blower has been making more noise over the last couple of weeks. The noise is not quite a whine, but a high pitch continuous sound. It is clearly associated with the combustion air blower as the frequency ramps up when the combustion air blower starts and ramps down when the combustion air blower stops. The motor speed is 3400 RPM and the sound could be at that frequency. The odd thing is that the motor spin-down takes 37 seconds. If there is rubbing somewhere it is not affecting the spin down time. The motor spins down very smoothly and does not suddenly stop at the end. Condensate drain for blower looks clear and has some water in it. I have tried pushing/pulling on the blower, motor, and everything around them and nothing changes the pitch of the sound.

Any suggestions? Can/should the blower be disassembled for cleaning? Replace motor anyway? Can/should a handy homeowner replace the combustion blower?

Thanks. Terry Joyce

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your furnace has the black plastic or rubber flue outlet drain trap make sure the drain hose from the flue drain trap to the secondary heat exchanger outlet trap is clean. Debris collects in the black tygon hose and reduces the flow of water. This forces more water down into the inducer possibly causing the high pitch noise.

If the hose is clean then most likely the inducer has an impeller rub or bearing noise and will need to be replaced.

I am not an employee of CozyParts. The opinions that I post are my own.

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have them test the undiluted combustion gases for proper combustion and carbon monoxide production.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts a low level CO monitor.
Go to Top of Page

gpshemi

3 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came home from a weekend trip and I'm having this very problem too with my Lennox G26Q3-75-5. The combustion blower motor bearings are going out I think. There was moisture in the housing too. How much water is acceptable in there? It's just droplets How do I check the little pump that pumps out water?

I think the moisture in the housing has caused the bearings to rust up and are begining to fail. It's 6 years old. I took it out, cleaned it all up, WD-40'ed the bearings as best I could, and put it back together again. That fixed it for the night. However, this morning I hear it again whinning again. I assume the blower unit is all one piece then since I can't get the impeller off it. Correct?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
gpshemi

Lennox G26
Go to Top of Page

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  7:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you clean the drain traps and hoses?

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have them test the undiluted combustion gases for proper combustion and carbon monoxide production.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts a low level CO monitor.
Go to Top of Page

gpshemi

3 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  07:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I pulled the hoses off and there was very little water in them. The tray had maybe less then an 1/8" of water in it. Not much at all. I did not pull the little bowl off though. It was hard to get to because of the gas pipe. So I left it. It's still running so I figure the drain is working fine. Don't these put out alot of water? I heard something like 5 gallons a day. If that's the case I'd have water on the floor and I don't. The blower assembly has moisture in it though. I assume that's normal. A local Lennox dealer is getting me a price on the blower asm today.

Lennox G26
Go to Top of Page

gpshemi

3 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a part number for this COMBUSTION BLOWER ASSEMBLY to double check the prices. I assume I need the hole assembly as I can't get the impeller off the motor shaft.
Correct?

Model number is G26Q3-75-5
S/N is 5800B 47602

Thanks all for the help.

Lennox G26

Edited by - gpshemi on 03/07/2006 09:01:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cozy.Support

5761 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The complete assembly for the Lennox model G26Q3-75-5 is Cozy catalog number 68K21.
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=68K21
Go to Top of Page

Gooberpooh

2 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the type of noise. I found that with certain air filters, I got a whine through the ait filter slot. Covering that slot got rid of the whine.
Go to Top of Page

JohnstonCY

2 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  2:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cozy.Support

The complete assembly for the Lennox model G26Q3-75-5 is Cozy catalog number 68K21.
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=68K21

I have a Lennox G26Q4/5-100-2 model furnace with the same combustion blower whine that seems to be getting worse. Is this blower catalog number the same one needed for my model? Is installation as easy as it looks? I really don't want to pay someone an installation charge plus the markup on the part. Thanks for any info!
Go to Top of Page

Cozy.Support

5761 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnstonCY:
You can use the link in my signature line to contact Cozy's parts department. They will help you and make sure you get the correct part numbers for your model.

Cozy.Support does not provide a diagnosis for users of this forum. We do, however, try to provide information that will help servicers arrive at their own diagnosis.

Once you know what part you need, you can contact the Cozy parts department by using the link below
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/locator_form.aspx

Go to Top of Page

slctech

2085 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  11:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to just chime in. Due to the high RPM of most inducer/combustion motors, they are more prone to bearing deteorization. There are hundreds of designs out there for many applications. Some designs run forever, others last for only a few years. The G26 assembly is one of those that is prone to bearing issues. the loud whining noise is just a sign that you are scheduled for a near future failure with the assembly.

Now it is hard to say when the assembly will fail. I have put my foot in my mouth many times with customers suggesting they change the assembly; To find they would rather live with the noise than change it out and the thing still is going years later! A growling, grinding, howling, and whining motor assembly may run for years or for a few days.

Always check to see if the furnace is still under warranty. If it is, then its always smart to be proactive and change out inducer for labor costs only. Or if it isn't under warranty you can choose to ride it out in hopes that it gets better, but experience has taught me, it always gets progressively worse.

You can try Zoom Oil on the bearings. The extension tube helps get into the tight inner bearing race between the motor and the assembly. This may help take some scream out of the thing. Keeping the exterior motor vents clean of dust and debris is advised annually. Any exterior openings are used to cool the motor and heat is the number one killer of any motor.

Lennox issued a bulletin about slushing and gurgling noise that may be evidence of a large amount of water in the inducer motor housing. Usually this issue would have been evident on those certain type of installations during the first winter run. I doubt by now this issue just decided to pop it's head up.

http://pirl.lennox.com/PDFs/9357.pdf

When ordering or replacing inducer motor assemblies, always ask if the kit comes with new gaskets. If not you can order them seperately. Always replace a new inducer assembly with new gaskets or seal ring.

As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!
Go to Top of Page

JohnstonCY

2 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  4:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just have a couple more questions. If/when the combustion air blower gives up the ghost does it render the entire furnace unusable until you replace it? The fan motor on the unit is very hot to the touch, is this normal? The furnace has been running frequently lately since it is only 4 degrees here today. And lastly, is it as easy to replace as it looks? Thanks for all the info!!
Go to Top of Page

shoe

141 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  5:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If/when the combustion air blower gives up the ghost does it render the entire furnace unusable until you replace it?"

Yes.

"is it as easy to replace as it looks?"

Pretty much. There is an orifice on the inlet of the combustion blower that must be moved over to the new one (before mounting the inlet gasket). Another possible gotcha occurs when there is a drain hose connected to the stub on the bottom of the housing - the new one has no hole drilled all the way through. If your existing one has a hose there (not very common), you will need to drill that hole the rest of the way - and don't try to cheat on drill bit size (the directions will tell you what size to use; 3/16" rings a bell, but I'm not positive of that) or you'll wreck the inducer housing. BTDT.

-------------------------------------------

I am not affiliated with Cozy Parts or Lennox in any way.

The opinions I provide are my own. You have no idea whether or not I'm qualified to hold them. Use them at your own risk.
Go to Top of Page

rpashoukos

1 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it's been a couple of years since the last post on this link but just wanted to say it all help me out. I woke up to a cold house and the burner kept shutting down on a "slow flashing light error". The combustion air blower (I didn't know it's name) was making a stranger noise, like water.

Anyway, I removed the blower and removed the water which was about a cup. I rigged it up to 115v and it sounded fine so I put it back in and now I have a warm house. Thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  6:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rpashoukos

I know it's been a couple of years since the last post on this link but just wanted to say it all help me out. I woke up to a cold house and the burner kept shutting down on a "slow flashing light error". The combustion air blower (I didn't know it's name) was making a stranger noise, like water.

Anyway, I removed the blower and removed the water which was about a cup. I rigged it up to 115v and it sounded fine so I put it back in and now I have a warm house. Thanks all.

Don't think emptying out the inducer of water is going to be a fix. Most likely the drain off the flue vent trap is plugged or restricted.

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have all of your fossil fuel appliances tested annually for carbon monoxide production by a professional.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts or NSI 3000 a low level CO monitor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. © 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000