Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Enter Our Parts Store | Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Repairing and Servicing Lennox Products
 Repairing / Servicing Lennox Air Conditioning
 Condenser Unit Fan runs slow, then stops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Hollinghurst

1 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Condenser Unit Fan runs slow for about a minute, then stops, then, after a few seconds, the compressor stops. After waiting a few minutes, I can restart but only after resetting the High Pressure Switch. This is a Lennox HS9-311-1P.

I had a problem a few weeks ago when turning on unit for the first time for the season. The unit was not getting power. Cleaned, filed, the Compressor Contactor contacts and all was well. Checked now and refiled again. Getting plenty of power and current. I will replace the contactor.

Is the problem the fan or the fan motor capacitor or should I replace both?? Or what else can it be???

Paul

Paul

MechAcc

1499 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  05:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replace the contactor.

You can never get the contacts filed where both halves will mate perfectly flat. There will always be high and low spots which will lead to arcing and burning. You can even cause the contacts to weld together causing the outdoor unit to run all the time. Which is not good for the compressor because liquid refrigerant will be slugging the pistons when the indoor fan shuts off. Ie. No heat transfer refrigerant will not flash to gas.

Sounds like the condenser fan motor or the run capacitor. When replacing a motor always change the run capacitor.

Observe all electrical safety when working on your unit.

Take a poloroid or digital photo of all wire connections before you proceed in case you forget.

Measure distance from motor housing to fan hub and record distance for install on new motor.

Soak the fan motor shaft with WD40 or PB Blaster to loosen years of rust. If the fan does not come off. Please do not hammer it. Take it down to your local auto repair shop and have them use their arbor press to press the old shaft out.

Good luck.

Gary Reecher, CM
HVAC Service Tech

When the problem is fixed please post as to what was the cause. We like feedback information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. © 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000