Print Page | Close Window

Fan will not turn off

Printed from: Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers.
Topic URL: http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-parts/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3307
Printed on: 09/23/2014

Topic:

Topic author: jpn2dfire
Subject: Fan will not turn off
Posted on: 05/30/2009 08:18:07 AM
I have a pulse 21, Model C26-31-1, that is 12 yrs old. The fan will not turn off. It runs all the time. I replaced the blower relay and that didn't help. While I had it open I hit the side of the unit and the fan turned off. It would then cycle on and off with the furnace, but that only lasted a couple of days, then it stayed on again all the time. Any idea for me?
Thank you,Jeremy

Replies:

Reply author: Cozy.Support
Replied on: 05/30/2009 08:59:01 AM
Check the fan side of the fan and limit control and see if it is sticking shut. The fan switch should be open when the furnace is cool. You will need to remove power, and then remove at least one wire from the fan side of the control and then ohm through the fan switch with an ohm meter to verify if it is open or closed.

Since a little vibration can cause the switch to open, you will need go be careful. You may actually cause the switch to open (if it is stuck)when you try to unplug the wire from the control.

The Cozy.Support team does not provide a diagnosis for users of this forum. We do, however, try to provide information that will help servicers arrive at their own diagnosis.

Once you know what part you need, you can contact the Cozy parts department by using the link below
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/locator_form.aspx

Reply author: slctech
Replied on: 05/30/2009 09:48:02 AM
To keep it simple...next time this happens. Slowly remove the upper panel of the furnace. Locate the fan/limit control and with the end of a screwdriver tap the control several times. If the blower all of a sudden shuts off, then you know you have a faulty, sticking fan/limit switch. These are basic mechanical switches that are prone to getting weak over time. See attachment to get an idea of what the fan/limit switch looks like and also get a brief understanding of its operation.
http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/FanLimitSwitch.htm

This is my favorite type of service call. I look like a genius when I just walk in and bang my hand on the side of the furnace and it shuts off

If this is the case, contact Cozy and his team and they will get you set up with the correct replacement and also some fan/limit switches have a tab that MUST be removed to avoid frying your entire system!! They can verify with you if the replacement has this tab and walk you through removing it, if necessary.

As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!

Reply author: jpn2dfire
Replied on: 05/30/2009 10:08:38 AM
Thank you so much for your help!!! Seeing the pictures really helped.I hit the fan/limit control with the end of a screwdriver and it didn't turn off. When I banged around in there before it did turn off, but won't this time. I'm not sure how it works. Could it just really be stuck hard and I'm not getting it unstuck? Do you think it would help to go ahead and replace the fan/limit switch or could it be something else?
Again, thank you so much for your help.

Replied on: 05/30/2009 6:01:19 PM
I am sure that if you gave it a heavier than usual hit it will shut off. Just keep tapping it and you will get it to click off. I cant imagine much, if anything on that furnace that would keep the blower running and sporatically shut it down when you bang around inside.

As a Lennox Technician I feel basic repairs and maintenance can be performed by the homeowner. But I highly suggest that periodic maintenance should be made by a certified licensed technician. You should contact your local Lennox technician for any repairs or issues that are outside your comfort zone. Property damage, personal injury, and death can occur from improperly repaired or maintained systems. Replacing a part doesn't always resolve the issue that caused the part to fail!

Replied on: 05/31/2009 06:50:15 AM
I have tried and tried and can't get it to turn off. I really hit it. Would I hurt anything if I just go ahead and change the fan/limit control?

Replied on: 05/31/2009 08:37:11 AM
Changing the F & L control won't hurt anything, but it may hurt your wallet if that is not the issue. While the F&L control is usually the culprit when you have this symptom, there is no guarantee that the fan and limit control is bad unless your confirm it by talking some kind of electrical measurements (or you can luck out with the tap test). The method I described above is not the only method for confirming the F & L control, but the method I felt was easiest to follow and accomplish for a non skilled person.

If you have a model that has the electronic blower timer, the timer could also be suspect, as well as the fan relay (that you just changed). Of course, there could be other issues, the easiest being that the fan switch is turned on at the thermostat.

The Cozy.Support team does not provide a diagnosis for users of this forum. We do, however, try to provide information that will help servicers arrive at their own diagnosis.

Once you know what part you need, you can contact the Cozy parts department by using the link below

Replied on: 05/31/2009 08:42:48 AM
To double check, for sure. If the blower is indeed stuck "on", take the metal cover plate off of the fan/limit. Behind you will find the round scale plate, which if you gently turn counter-clockwise, should shut blower off.
If the blower still remains on, then you may have another issue such welded contacts on the blower relay, thermostat issues, and thermostat wire issues.
Is the blower staying on after a call for HEAT or is staying on after a call for COOL? I may have jumped the gun, after a long winter of heating on my mind, the fan/limit is only utilized to control the blower during HEAT operations.
Also, the model number you posted is for your A/C coil. Need the full model number for the furnace..should start with a G21

Replied on: 05/31/2009 11:25:03 AM
My model is G21Q3-80-1. The blower stays on all the time for about 1 year heat or cool. Back then is when I tried tapping on it and it turned off for a few days and then right back on and hasn't turned off since. I turned the round plate counter-clockwise and the blowr didn't turn off. I did install a new thermostat around that same time.....It's a Honeywell Thermostat and said that it would work for my unit. I have propaine/heat pump/ac. I am so thankful for all of your help.

Replied on: 05/31/2009 11:30:29 AM
If you have a VOM, check and see if you have 24 VAC Between "G" and "C" on the thermostat terminal strip. If you do, this is why your blower is not shutting off. Check thermostat, and thermostat wiring.

Replied on: 06/02/2009 4:54:40 PM
I don't have a VOM. I double checked the thermostat wiring and it all looks good.

Replied on: 06/02/2009 8:56:13 PM
Its difficult to diagnosis any further with out a AC volt meter.

Replied on: 06/03/2009 06:47:21 AM
Alright, I got a AC volt meter.Now, I just need to figure it out....

Replied on: 06/03/2009 08:53:08 AM
As Cozy stated, with the thermostat in OFF and Fan mode in AUTO(if applicable) place one lead on the C terminal inside the furnace and the other lead on the G terminal. Will need to make sure that your holding down the blower door switch as so to have power to the system. You should have 0 volts. If you are reading approx 24 volts across C and G then good chance it is the thermostat. If your reading 0 volts across C and G then will need to dig a bit deeper. Again, you will want to do this at the time you feel the blower is stuck on.

Replied on: 06/03/2009 7:42:54 PM
where will I find the thermostat terminal strip so I can test this?

Replied on: 06/03/2009 9:31:18 PM
Remove the top and bottom panels on your furnace. In the lower area where your blower is located you will see a terminal strip in which your thermostat wires are connected to. Should see screws with markings of R, W, Y, G, and C. Remember, when you remove the lower panel, there is a protection switch which de-energizes the furnace. Will need to hold down this switch to keep furnace energized while you check the voltages.

Replied on: 06/05/2009 08:12:02 AM
Okay,Thanks for bearing with me, I'ma firefighter so I'm gone for 24hrs at a time. It takes me a day or so to get back to this sometimes. Between C and G it reads 0.00

Replied on: 06/05/2009 08:15:28 AM
Any ideas of what I can try next? Thank you for all of your help.

Reply author: MechAcc
Replied on: 06/05/2009 08:56:56 AM
C26-31-1 This number looks like a cased evaporator coil model number. Did you get this number from on top of the furnace? Look inside the furnace cover. The model number should be on one of the side walls of the cabinet. It is important that you get us the correct number. Early models work only with a fan/limit switch assembly later models work with a fan timer switch.

I am not an employee of CozyParts. The opinions that I post are my own.

Please have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified service technician. Have all of your fossil fuel appliances tested annually for carbon monoxide production by a professional.

Get a good Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Replace it according to manufacturers recommendations usually every 3-5 years. CO concerns are not just for the winter but 24-7. UL approved alarms alarm high. For a low level alarm do a search for CO Experts or NSI 3000 a low level CO monitor.

Replied on: 06/05/2009 09:06:45 AM
G21Q3-80-1

MechAcc..here is the model

Replied on: 06/05/2009 8:05:02 PM
Thank you all for your help. Is there anything else I can check?

Replied on: 06/05/2009 9:08:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jpn2dfire

Thank you all for your help. Is there anything else I can check?

Don't get ahead of yourself....
What was the result of your voltage tests at the low voltage strip?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 06:18:25 AM
Are you talking about between C and G on the thermostat just above the blower that you had me check? It was 0.00
You said if it reads about 24 then it would be bad, but it reads 0.00. OR is there something else I was suposed to check?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 06:25:38 AM
You have three components that control the fan. If we assume that the wiring is all good, which is likely if you have not disturbed any of the wires, the three components left that can cause the blower to run are the fan and limit control, the fan timer, and the fan relay.

You can remove the wires from one of the terminals on the fan side of the fan and limit control and ohm through the switch with your ohm meter as previously described. This will let you know if the switch is stuck closed. This is the next test you should do. Also, if you can read schematics, there is a downloadable service manual for your furnace in the service manual section of this forum.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 06:35:51 AM
I can't read schematics. I'm just trying to work through this with you guys and learn about all of this. Thank you so much for your help. Which terminals do I remove on the fan side of the fan and limit control?What do they look like? And how do I ohm through the swithc with my ohm meter? I didn't do this before b/c I wasn't sure how.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 10:09:43 AM
Your blower relay is looking to be the culprit.
Going to give you some reasoning without making you test much deeper.
Your blower is stuck on and continuously runs, this can be caused by a few components on your furnace and some exterior issues such as your thermostat or wiring.
When you are showing 0v across G & C on the terminal plate on your furnace, verifies that the thermostat and wiring are not the problem.
Now it is narrowed down to the furnace components. We know that your fan/limit control is not the cause, since we have ruled that out in earlier posts. This leaves the K3 relay. Contact Cozy and they can hook you up with a replacement relay. There is only one in your furnace and it initiates the blower for cooling.
Another hint that it is the relay, is much like the fan/limit switch, its a electromechanical device with small moving parts. When you banged the side of the furnace and the blower stopped (you posted originally), you were probably jarring the relay's internal components. A relay is a common part to fail.

P.S. there is no reason to apologize for the limited amount of time you have to come back to this site and post. We here are all in the same boat, working long hours in the field, families, activities, and when we have time we drop into this site to lend a helping hand.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 10:57:20 AM
slctech:
You may not remember that jpn2dfire replaced the fan relay in his first post. While it is certainly possible that the relay is bad, one wouldn't expect a brand new relay to be an issue.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 11:12:09 AM
Can you help me figure out how to : remove the wires from one of the terminals on the fan side of the fan and limit control and ohm through the switch with your ohm meter as previously described?
And...Is there anyway to test the blower relay to see if it is bad or not? I put the new one in about the same time this problem started,so I'm not sure if the blower staying on all time was before or after the replaced relay, if that makes any difference??

Replied on: 06/06/2009 12:06:12 PM
Yeah...your right, but going over the schematic, I can't see anything other than the relay that could be causing the fan to stay on...it could be the fan/limit. Easiest layman way to verify which component is seized would be through the motor leg wiring.
I would think if the motor wiring has not been changed. With power off, the black wire (high speed) to the motor could be disconnected from the relay and taped off. Turn unit back on and if the motor has stopped, then it would be the relay or wiring. If it continues to run, then that would leave the fan/limit control energizing the motor. Make sure your air conditioner is off during this quick check. Don't want your A/C running without the indoor blower.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 12:46:41 PM
I disconected the black wire from the fan motor and the fan still came back on. Also, I'm so sorry, but when I was down there looking, it was the Run Capacitor that I replaced, not the blower relay. I haven't ever replaced the blower relay. I was confused b/c I replaced a relay outside on the heat pump. Where is the blower relay and what should I do with it?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 1:09:13 PM
So you disconnected the black wire from where? The black wire should run directly to the relay itself. When you say that the fan still came back on, what steps did you take to make the fan come on? Did you just turn the power on and the fan came on at the same time, or did you have to do something else?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 1:27:43 PM
The next thing you can double check as Cozy was stating is to either ohm out or easier yet with the power on and the blower still running, go back to the fan/limit switch you were inspecting earlier in the posts.
You will see writings on the black molded body of the fan/limit where the wires attach. One side of the fan/limit will say FAN LINE and the other side will say LIMIT LINE. You will need to use your volt meter and you will be checking across the two wires attached on the FAN LINE side of the fan/limit. Close inspection where the wires are pressed into the fan/limit switch you will see small little square/rectangular openings beneath them with shiny metal inside. You will want to put one end of the Volt meter inside one of those squares and the other probe in the other square opening. Make sure your meter is set to AC volts and make sure the motor is running. If you read approx 0 volts across the two FAN terminals then the fan/limit is stuck on and is faulty. If you are reading approx 120 volts across the FAN terminals then the fan/limit is in the off or open position as it should be and we need check something else.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 3:18:18 PM
I disconnected the black wire directly from the motor of the fan and when I turned the power back on the fan came right back on. There is nothing I can do to get it to turn off except turn off the power.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 3:42:34 PM
The Limit Line has a wire coming out of it and Load has a wire coming out. Fan line has no iwre going into it at all. The fan line has 1 space for a wire, but there is nothing there. I put the meter on it anyway and it reads 0. I put the meter between the the other lines also and could only reads 0. I didn't get any reading and the fan was running the whole time.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 4:40:55 PM
Start with each wire at the motor and pull one and turn power back on. See which one finally kills the motor. Once you figure out which one killed the motor, systematically follow that wire back to which component it is connected to and let us know.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 4:51:02 PM
There is a black/red/white wire going into the fan motor. The black one didn't kill the fan. When I take off the red one the fan just sits there and hums and they same thing happens when I take off the white. The two wires going into the fan/limit switch are both brown.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 5:14:48 PM
Trace the red wire from the motor to where it connects, this is most likely the culprit part. I am sure that you will find that it runs back to the relay. probably pin#5

Replied on: 06/06/2009 5:42:48 PM
Yes, It runs to pin #5.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 6:21:09 PM
So, does that mean the blower relay is bad?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 7:08:25 PM
Looks like it..one last thing you need to check to be for sure.
Here is a picture of the blower relay:

and here is a picture of the blower delay:

You will need to have your volt meter. Attach one lead of your meter to any metal part of the furnace and the other lead will be used to take readings.
You will notice on the picture of the relay that the top three pins from L to R are 1, 2, and 3. Next row (middle row) from L to R are 4, 5, and 6. The bottom pins are low voltage control pegs. The two on the bottom left are actually one set and the two on the bottom right are also one set.
The second picture is the blower delay module. Yours may differ slightly but in either case you notice that in the center of this control is three pins marked COM, NO, and NC.
Become familiar with where these are located in your furnace and were going to take some quick measurements.

With power on, blower running, and one of your volt meter probes attached to any metal part of the furnace housing, use the other probe and touch it to "COM" on blower delay...should have approx 120v. Next touch the probe to "NO" on the blower delay, should have 0 volts. If you have 120v on "NO" then you have a faulty blower delay.

If you have 0 volts on "NO" and approx 120 volts on pin#5 on the blower relay, then you have a faulty relay.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 7:53:13 PM
You still will have voltage on the "NO" terminal, even if the timer normally open terminals are open, because you will be getting electromotive generated voltages on the heat speed winding if the motor is running and the heat speed winding is connected to the "NO" terminal.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 8:11:17 PM
Cozy is right...basically turn power off to furnace, disconnect the wire attached to "NO" on the blower delay and tape off. Turn power back on. If blower continues to run, then bad relay. If blower does not run, then bad blower delay.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 8:23:48 PM
jpn2dfire:

Please remember that slctech or any of the techs at Cozy would be able to diagnose this in a minute or so max.... however, when you start trying to help someone who does not have all the tools and experience that we have, a skilled technician has to think totally different than he does when he is the one actually doing the diagnosing.

A skilled tech could use a clamp on amp meter and find the issue in less than 15 seconds without even taking a voltage reading. This would be the fastest method of actually finding the little culprit.

Slctech and many of the other regulars here make a pretty good team. Slctech always puts 100% into helping others.... a good guy for sure.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 8:48:32 PM
I found the blower delay and the Red (NO) wire was no connected. It was detached, laying off to the side...... should I attach it and see if it works ???

Replied on: 06/06/2009 8:51:29 PM
It was not connected.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 8:59:29 PM
I connected the red wire that was hanging free t the NO terminal and turned the power back on. The blower motor just hums. I disconnected, like it was and It still just hums. The blower isn't running, but jsut humming. When I found it disconnected it was laying u against the COM terminal.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:07:40 PM
You guys are all great. Thank you so much for all of your help. I know you could figure it out easy and I'm sure it's hard when your dealing with someone like me that doesn't know what he doing. I am so thankful for the help.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:29:17 PM
Re-attach the wire to the NO terminal and see where you stand. Sounds like the terminal had come off of the post and fell against the COM post and basically shorted across, causing your blower to run continuously.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:32:35 PM
What should I do from here?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:34:13 PM
So with the wire reattached to the NO terminal did your motor stop running?

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:35:06 PM
Sorry for the last post, I didn't see yours. Wehn I reconnect it, The blower motor just hums.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:41:29 PM
Is it the motor that is humming? Or are you hearing the hum of the transformer. Feel the motor, if it is indeed humming it will be getting incredibly hot to the touch. I think your mistaking the hum for the transformer which is suppose to hum.
If the motor is off and NOT running then this is good. Close up the furnace and put it through some cycles. Go up to you thermostat start it up in HEAT mode and let it go through a few cycles, then turn on the fan ON/AUTO at the thermostat and cycle that a few times, then turn on your A/C and see if the motor operates as intended.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:47:31 PM
YES!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU. It is fixed. You guys are great!!

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:50:56 PM
Have a great night, and thank you for your service...my brother is a fire fighter.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:51:10 PM
Thank you so much for you help. If I knew where you lived I would have my wife bake you some cookies. You guys are the best. I will only use cozyparts for any part I need and have been telling everyone I know to get parts form you guys. So, Thanks SlcTech and Cozy support and anyone else that helped.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 9:53:24 PM
Where does your brother work? I'm in Columbus, Ohio.

Replied on: 06/06/2009 10:03:57 PM
Good work SLC... you wouldn't want any of my cookies, but I make some Dirty Rice with Italian sausage that I think is pretty good... :)

Replied on: 06/06/2009 10:08:17 PM
Hes here in Salt Lake City, UT. He is now employed at the International Airport here, he was a Captain for years.

Replied on: 06/07/2009 2:27:08 PM
That's great. I really do appreciate all of your help.

Service Forum for Lennox HVAC Owners and Servicers. : http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-parts/forum/

© 2002-2013 CozyParts.com, Inc

Close Window